Here’s a creation that I meant to blog before leaving for California:
If you remember my post from my first trip to California this summer, then you can imagine how excited I was to find pea shoots at Trader Joe’s here in town.
First I thought of stir-frying them with some sliced garlic, like they do at Ton Kiang in San Francisco, but then I decided to make a whole one-dish meal out of them by stir frying them with some tofu and mushrooms, also inspired by a dish at Ton Kiang.
I started by sauteing in a large wok:
- 1 tablespoon fresh, minced ginger and
- 3 cloves sliced garlic in
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Then I added:
- 1/2 pound cubed firm tofu
and stir fried it over medium-low heat until browned, about 20 minutes. Then I threw in
- 1/2 pound sliced shiitake mushrooms:
and stir fried until tender, about 5 more minutes. Finally, I added:
- 4 ounces pea shoots
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
…and cooked it for another few minutes, until the pea shoots were just wilted. I served this over brown rice with a nice, hot cup of green tea.
This was a super simple but satisfying combination of flavors.
- 1 tablespoon fresh, minced ginger: $0.25
- 3 cloves sliced garlic: $0.15
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil: $0.13
- 1/2 pound cubed firm tofu: $0.90
- 1/2 pound sliced shiitake mushrooms: $2.69
- 4 ounces pea shoots: $2.49
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce: $0.18
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar: $0.04
- Brown rice: $0.65
= $7.48/4 servings
Try getting take-out for that price!