Between the rich cashews, the mashed sweet potatoes, and the crumbled tofu, you will not miss the cheese here! Come to think of it, this would be a good entree for Thanksgiving (or for any day).
I got this recipe from Food.com, but it is originally from Rip Esselstyn’s Engine 2 Diet book. He got his fellow firefighters to adopt a plant-based diet, which led to significant weight loss and cholesterol reduction. Whole Foods is heavily promoting this book now. This is the only recipe from the book that I’ve tried so far, but it was really good, even if it didn’t work exactly as written. I liked the variety of veggies included.
Here’s the recipe:
Note: I have made this recipe twice, and I found both times that the tofu/veggie filling is absolutely enough for two lasagnas! This time around, I froze half of the filling for later. You could also construct 2 lasagnas and freeze one for later. I did use 2 jars (well, cans, actually) of sauce, but I only needed one package of lasagna noodles. I used the no-boil kind. If anything, I might increase the sweet potatoes.
- 1/2 onion, chopped: $0.16
- 1 garlic clove, chopped: $0.05
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced: $1.00
- 1/2 head broccoli, chopped: $0.25
- 1 carrot, chopped: $0.08
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped: $1.50
- 1/2 (15 ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained: $0.44
- 1/2 (12 ounce) package tofu: $0.90
- Seasonings: probably about $0.05
- 2 (25 ounce) jars pasta sauce: $3.58
- 1 (14 ounce) boxes whole grain lasagna noodles: $1.99
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained: $1.99
- 2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed: $0.60
- 6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin: $3.29
- 1 cup raw cashews, ground: $1.50
/12 servings = $1.45/serving!
I took this to dinner at a long-time family friend’s house. She and my sister both said that they were skeptical when they heard that I was making vegan lasagna but that they actually really liked this because it contained all of the textures one expects in a traditional lasagna. That’s saying a lot, too, because my Mom always made really delicious lasagna. I consider this recipe a huge success!