Another recipe from the beginning of the summer (too good not to post):
I’ve been looking for some vegetarian crock pot recipes that aren’t soup. Although by now you surely know how much I LOVE soup, it’s nice to have other options, and this recipe did not disappoint. The addition of chickpeas made it a complete, hearty meal.
This recipe came from:
- 1 onion, chopped: $0.64
- 4 garlic cloves, minced: $0.20
- 6 cups eggplants, cubed (one large): $4.19
- 2 teaspoons basil (dried): $0.05
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried): $0.05
- 1 red pepper: $2.66
- 2 zucchini: $2.34
- 1/3 cup tomato paste: $1.49
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed: $1.49
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes: $3.39
=$2.06/serving! (or $2.17/serving with brown rice)
The recipe called for cooking the onions, garlic, and eggplant in a skillet first. Some reviewers had complained that the eggplant came out mushy, so I opted to skip that step. It seriously only took me 10 minutes to chop the veggies and throw everything in the crock pot.
Then I cooked it on low for about 4 hours and threw some fresh basil on top before serving.
I served it over brown rice. My BFF brought over some nice crusty bread, and, of course, a lovely bottle of red wine. Perfection.