This is basically a recipe from Alex Jamieson’s Great American Detox Diet:
It’s a wonderfully versatile recipe: you can use whatever legume, grain, and veggies you have on hand. I especially like to use leftover cooked lentils and grains here, so it’s a little bit different each time I make it. This time I used red lentils and quinoa. This was my favorite combination so far. The textures worked better in loaf form than brown lentils and rice. I also used a couple of ribs of celery instead of the bell pepper and dried instead of fresh parsley.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa: $0.45
- 1 cup cooked red lentils: $0.18
- 1 cup uncooked instant oats: $0.07
- 1 cup finely chopped mushroom: $0.67
- 1 medium yellow onion , finely chopped: $0.25
- 1 medium carrot, grated: $0.08
- 2 ribs celery, diced: $0.24
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts: $0.66
- 1 can tomato paste: $0.89
- 1/4 cup green olives: $0.40
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley: $0.15
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce: $0.18
- 2 tablespoons mustard: $0.23
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme: $0.02
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram: $0.02
- 1 teaspoon dried sage: $0.02
- roasted sweet potato wedges: (1/2 a large sweet potato): $0.15
- crispy roasted Brussels sprouts: (1/4 a bag from Trader Joe’s): $0.70
The sides were easy to prepare. I just sliced the sweet potato, sprayed it with canola spray, and put it in the oven 30 minutes before the loaf was finished (flipping after 15 minutes). For the Brussels sprouts, I steamed them in the bag in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, then cut them in half, sprayed them with oil, and put them in the oven 15 minutes before the loaf was finished (when I flipped the potatoes). Then I put them under the broiler for a few minutes to get them nice and crispy.
…so my whole dinner only cost $1.30!
By the way, this loaf is one of those things where the leftovers are even better!
Speaking of leftovers, I used some of them to make really good sandwiches:
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread: $0.25
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard: $0.08
- 2 teaspoons Vegenaise: $0.05
with leftover Brussels sprouts my lunch came to: $1.53!
This was a nice, hearty sandwich that really hit the spot!